Saturday, December 13, 2008

English Toffee

So after my misfires in the kitchen (see post below), I decided to stick with what I know for our  friend, teacher, and neighbor gifts this year.  My mom makes this every year and it is so tasty.  (How could anything with this much butter and sugar NOT be tasty?)
ENGLISH TOFFEE

On a cookie sheet lined with foil, sprinkle about 1 1/2 - 2 cups chopped nuts in an even layer. (I use walnuts).  Set aside.

In a saucepan, combine 1 cup butter, 1 cup sugar, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1 tsp vanilla, and bring to boil over high heat.  Stir quickly until butter and sugar combine, and continue to cook until light brown in color and crack stage has been reached.  Stir constantly.  

 Pour over chopped nuts and spread thin.  Sprinkle on 1 package of chocolate chips (I use milk, my mom uses semi-sweet).   Allow to melt for one minute, then spread.  Sprinkle more chopped nuts on top and chill.  Break into pieces when cold.

I think I have made this every year since we got married and I still haven't perfected it.  It's hard to know when the mixture is done.  Sometimes I get it just right and the toffee is very hard and crunchy, and sometimes I don't cook it enough and it is a little softer - but still yummy!  This year I actually used a candy thermometer and let it reach 300 degrees - or hard crack stage - but the toffee was still a little soft for my liking.  So I guess it's an art.  Maybe if I keep on making it every year like my mom does, I'll master it, too!!

2 comments:

quincy said...

Thank you for posting this! They have really been on my mind, they were always a favorite.

Crisanne said...

Mmm... toffee. Dennis truely thanks you for this recipe! I made probably 3-4 batches of this last year, and 2 so far this year! It is wonderful!